It’s April 15th and so we celebrate two important events, one good and the other bad. The good news is that we celebrate Jackie Robinson Day in MLB paying homage to one of baseball’s all-time greats and a man of huge cultural significance in American history. The bad news is that our taxes filings (and often payments) are due.
In this podcast we make the moral argument against the federal income tax and many other taxes that exist at the federal and state levels. Taxation is coercive. Taxation forces people to pay for initiatives they do not want nor support. Tax policy is used by the powerful and influential to rig markets, pit one group of people against the other, and reward some at the expense of many. Taxes fund immoral and foolish wars, corporate welfare, a mass incarceration state and a variety of other unethical and immoral policies.
We look at taxation through the lens of our inalienable rights of Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness and point out the conflict. We look at taxation through the ideal of Equality under the Law and point out the conflict. We look at taxation as one would in a Free and Open Society and point out the conflict.
In this podcast we cover many topics including taxation as theft, the social contract, oppression of minorities, greed, taxation as punishment, fair share, trickle down, Tax Freedom Day, the history of the federal income tax, SALT deductions, tariffs, sales tax, corporate tax, property tax, federal income tax, state income tax, gas tax, the tax code as a social engineering model, electric vehicles, the cost of college, Poway Unified’s Billion Dollar Bond, taxation as a model of intolerance, progressive taxation, Amazon, Dept of Commerce, interest on the national debt, Social Security, education and roads.
We discuss various people including Rand Paul, Thomas Sowell, Donald Trump, Bernie Sanders, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Milton Friedman, Dwight Eisenhower, John Collins and Richard Rider.
Fair Warning: This podcast is provocative. Hang on to your hat!
Links Referenced in Podcast:
- Tax Freedom Day: https://taxfoundation.org/publications/tax-freedom-day/
- Dr. Rand Paul’s Spring 2019 “Waste in Full Bloom” Edition of “The Waste Report” https://www.paul.senate.gov/dr-rand-pauls-spring-2019-waste-full-bloom-edition-waste-report
- Reason.com: Happy Tax Day! Here Are 6 Infuriating Ways the Government Spends Your Money: https://reason.com/2019/04/15/happy-tax-day-here-are-6-infuriating-ways-the-government-spends-your-money/?fbclid=IwAR00kik72I2OSO8a95sszjRaN-Eu_ahdcLonLWcyVhDEZ77ITiFQhe6JW0k
John Riley Project Info:
- Bookings? Inquiries? Contact me at https://n0p.486.myftpupload.com/
- Donations: https://www.patreon.com/johnrileyproject
- Sponsorship Inquiries: https://n0p.486.myftpupload.com/sponsorship/
- YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJJSzeIW2A-AeT7gwonglMA
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/johnrileyproject/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/JohnRileyPoway
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/johnrileypoway/
- iTunes: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/john-riley-project-podcast/id1435944995?mt=2
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/3llrMItpbx9JRa08UTrswA
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/john-riley-project
- Google Podcasts: https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cHM6Ly9qb2hucmlsZXlwcm9qZWN0LmNvbS9mZWVkLw
- Tune In: https://tunein.com/podcasts/Arts–Culture-Podcasts/John-Riley-Project-Podcast-p1154415/
- Listen Notes: https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/john-riley-project-john-riley-2l4rEIo1RJM/
- Music: https://www.purple-planet.com
- Visuals by Ezekiel: https://www.visualsbyzekekitchen.com/